Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A nap on a bench.

Last night I wandered around Kuala Lumpur International Airport with bloodshot eyes. As soon as I arrived, taxi drivers approached me from all directions, trying to sell me a ride, and neon storefronts beckoned me to buy their wares. I refused both in my random wandering and instead settled for an airport bench.

Since my connecting flight to Bangkok was not scheduled to leave until 9:10 the next morning, I had thought about taking a train into downtown Kuala Lumpur. My flight had taxied into KLIA at about 9:30 Malaysian time. I figured it would be something fun to do instead of spending 12 hours in the airport, but my sleepy state persuaded me otherwise.

Before bed I walked back and forth across the airport that slowly grew quiet. I searched for a drinking fountain but through broken English discovered that here, there was no such thing. I soon settled for a bottle of water, and after gulping most of it down I sprawled out lengthwise on a slightly cushioned bench near the back. I wrapped the strap of my bag around my wrist and turned onto my side to fall asleep.

In that moment, it hadn't hit me that outside the four walls of Kuala Lumpur International was a country as exotic as Malaysia. I felt a humid blast of air rush in through the revolving glass doors that led outside and eventually to the city, but I did not feel the hit. I saw headcoverings and robes of purple, orange, and white that covered softly darkened skin tones, but it did not hit me then. For the first time, the only language that filled the air and rose to my ears was not recognized as my own, but somehow, I am not yet shocked.

I know its coming though. I know that elation will at some point turn to anxiety and for a period of time I will be shocked and questioned; overwhelmed and defused.

In this moment, looking back over the past two weeks, I have loved this adventure and I know that I always will. I love defining life as it comes at me. This life of excitement and challenge is a dear part of my existence. But at some point, in some instance, I believe I will be shocked by unfamiliar sights, sounds, and words. Until then, I can only wonder when.

Now, in the moment of writing this, I am sitting in Bangkok, Thailand. I decided to take a break from the slow and complex navigation to my hostel, as well as a break from the heat and humidity. It is about 1:20 p.m. here, on the 17th of January. I have been slowly navigating through this notoriously busy city and I have constantly stopped to look at my map, but I think I am almost there. I will be staying somewhere in the Banglamphu area, which is west of the city and nearby the river.

Almost there.

8 comments:

Josh Jackson said...

So did you manage to avoid the bittersweetness of Khoasan Road??? The biggest backpacker joint on all the earth???

If you're in southern Thailand - KRABI is the best off the beaten path beach. From Krabi town you catch a boat to Reilly Beach (which consists of three beaches - two being semi expensive and one really cheap) and then walk over to the cheap beach...Ao Ton Sai. There's great rock climbing and kayaking. Not to mention a short hike up and down into a lagoon that is a trip!! And there's a great day trip that takes you snorkeling and too some great walk-between-islands-beaches. PLUS - Au Ton Sai has super cheap lodging (we stayed for $4.50 a night in a private bungalow). Check out this post for some pictures: http://driftinginthailand.blogspot.com/2007/04/day-77-secluded-beaches.html

Let me know if you need any other info!!

Josh Jackson said...

Okay, I need to break up the link. You'll have to put it together. :)

http://driftinginthailand.blogspo
t.com/2007/04/day-77-
secluded-beaches.html

Enjoy Thailand!!

Seth said...

Josh, thanks so far. I have avoided Khao San Road... but only slightly. I'm ready to get out, but the really cheap (and quiet) hostel is worth it for now. I'll be here a couple days before I head out.

Thanks for the Krabi suggestion. I will definitely look into it.

Oh, here's a question.

I don't want to purchase ANY package trips with buses, and I don't think I have to. How do I find out the local bus schedule? Or the train schedule for Chaing Mai, and Chaing Rai?

mom said...

Dear Seth,
If and when you feel overwhelmed, remember swimming lessons...the deep end!
You are incredible! I am so proud that you are the kind of man that always ends up doing the right thing.
Remember, no matter WHERE you are: same earth, same moon, same sun, same family, same friends, same God.
I love you so much honey. Take a deep breath. Be safe.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Seth,
It sounds like you are having a wonderful time! You have set out to do such amazing things and we are all so very proud of you! Be safe and know that you are in all of our hearts!
Love you...

Anonymous said...

seth, I sort of know how you are feeling. I once spent a night alone in an airport in Amsterdam. It was a little unnerving. I was alone in a very foreign land. When I was in Germany the language barrier was frustrating an at times maddening! Hang in there. Love Auntie Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Seth honey, you might just be a bit homesick for all of us that love to hug and kiss on you. We are all still here rooting for you. You give us something to look forward to doing...reading your account of your adventures. I'm sad that your having those feelings but you'll push through them. Be safe and mindful of your surroundings, the good ones will find you.I love you honey,Take Care Auntie Caryn

Anonymous said...

seth thats is simply awesome dude.... you paint a good picture...im glad you are enjoying your trip...i will be keepin you in prayer