Friday, January 4, 2008

A kiss on the cheek.

Love is a splendid thing.

At first sight of this phrase I would think that many people immediately think of a pitter patter feeling of the heart, and while romance is important in the proper time, it is certainly not the end of love as a whole. Without the supporting pieces of care, patience, and selflessness, among many other attributes -- romantic love is by itself warped.

Love has lost its perfection, and though today's tainted understanding of love is surely a global travesty, I myself can only speak on what I have witnessed in my own culture; for whatever that is worth.

In America, I see love as an advertisement. So many are sold on the idea that if you have this car, women will flock to you; or if you wear this perfume, men will notice you. To many, this recognition is of the greatest importance and is even reason enough to take a relationship to a further level. Yet it is all about image -- a surface-level, lust like relationship. The desire to want and to be wanted seem to vie for the sole criteria in a search for love.

May it be clear that in no way do I condemn the possession of nice things, for I myself enjoy fashion and style, but I am merely saying that the truth of love is not found in tawdry displays of extravagance. I doubt that love can ever stem from the surface. Its roots are in the heart but also in the conscious and truthful effort of the mind.

While traveling, and now in the time of writing this, I still see a distortion of love, yet in the past few days I have been blessed with pictures of a love that cares just for the sake of caring. A love that does not expect anything in return. I have seen this in Pastor Atu, a Fijian living in Auckland who without hesitation told me to call him and stay with his family when I return from Paihia. I have experienced this love from a group of travelers from Canada, Brazil, and England who invited me to spend the evening with them. And of course, I have experienced this love in my meetings with a girl from Argentina named Macarena, who sat with me on the beach for hours and taught me the custom of greeting and parting with a kiss on the cheek. Joy filled my body when I experienced this open way of showing care, and obviously so, the title of this blog is dedicated to the beauty of this custom. Thank you Macarena.

It is in an experience like this, that I see how love in simple ways is felt across cultures. A love that simply cares with nothing expected in return. What a beautiful thing.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing the effect of something as simple as a kiss on the cheek. Something we hold reserved for only those we love most in the world, in other cultures is given as freely as the wind blows. And yet, to those non-Americans, it still holds the same affection. It really makes you think about what other things we are preoccupied with that we can't extend that simple love without an ulterior motive.
I'm so glad that your experience thus far is as beautiful as it sounds. I hope it continues in the same way.
Love you!

~Alissa

Unknown said...

daniel ballard showed me this. i'm with you. i have the same feelings and have basically been thinking similar things for a while now. God bless you on your journey.

joel

jmaire.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Seth, so early in the journey and yet your posts are already filled with great thoughts and stories; It has been a great beginning to a growing and unfolding story. I am enjoying living and reaping from experiences through this journal you share. "Greet one another with a holy kiss." (2 Cor. 13:12)

Anonymous said...

You sound like you are having a great time. You are missed. Our family is praying for you on this awesome journey, how is the beer there? Probably taste like tree bark :) Be safe and keep it real. Love, The Truhlars

Keith Drury said...

the joy in "traveling light" while "doing nothing" I love it!

Ellie Lee said...

Thank you for all of your posting. It brings me much joy to read of culture and all of your travel. The blog esp. put smile on my face.

Anonymous said...

this is good