Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The art of doing nothing.

Today is my third day in New Zealand and slowly I am becoming accustomed to a traveler's way of life. The first couple days in Auckland were actually quite expensive, (unfortunately the American dollar is quite weak). Now though, I am in Paihia, which is also known as the Bay of Islands, and while still expensive, I am learning the ropes here and am getting along quite nicely.

I absolutely love the freedom that this opportunity has allowed me so far. I wake up each morning and face so many opportunities, but each choice carries with it a simplicity that I could have never before imagined. I do not have an agenda, rather I wake up each morning and either read a little or grab some snacks for breakfast, after which I walk to the beach with a book in my hand and do nothing for the rest of day except relax.

Thinking more about this idea though, brings me to the thought that I believe we Americans are not very good at doing nothing. My first day in Auckland struck a small bit of fear into my heart, yet in retrospect I feel that more than anything, this was due to the fact that I had no schedule, nor did I have anything specific to do. I had only planned as far as a destination. I had only planned to enjoy a different culture, to meet people and talk with them about everything and nothing at all.

It took me a minute, but I know that this simplicity is truly who I am at heart. Each and every day, I love this idea more and more.

In this journey thus far, I have met wonderful people, coming from all different parts of the earth. I have met Brazilians, English, Germans, Fijians, Samoans, and Tongans. And I have got along quite well with all of them. It has been wonderful.

There is an entire traveler's network at my feet; a network that up until three days ago, I never knew existed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seth, I missed your call on sunday.
i was at work all day. Hello and goodbye! You are in my thoughts always. Know that you are loved and missed back here.
So far things sound very interesting, to say the least.
I look forward to hearing about all your adventures.
Be safe. Love and prayers Auntie Cheryl

mom said...

Hey honey,
That beach sounds really nice after shoveling several inches of snow off my driveway and sidewalks this afternoon!
It's hard to explain, as a parent, what it feels like to have a child, hang on when it's necessary, loosen your grip, and finally let go. But the relief that comes when you know all is well is wonderful...my cup runneth over.
Love you Seth
Mom

Anonymous said...

I still can't believe you're on the other side of the world! That boggles my mind! Your trip so far sounds amazing. I check every day to read more about what's going on. I can't wait to hear about all you do and see. Take care. Love you!

~Alissa

Anonymous said...

Hey Seth, off on your journey, and all is going well. It will be nice to follow you on your trip and to learn about the places that you visit. Try to find the time to write every once in a while. Peace be with you.
Dave

Anonymous said...

you are living your dream and that is what is making your heart come alive!!! your journey will be far and full, but i am confident you are not alone!!
live loved! julia

Unknown said...

Hey Seth, it's great to get the chance to follow your journey here. I am really excited for you, this experience will be life changing. I cant believe after all the planning you are living it out. I am proud of you for taking the risk and stepping into the unknown... it's gonna be great!

Anonymous said...

You are so cool. That sums it up. Glad you're safe, always in my prayers, gotta run honey.
Love Auntie