Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Have a cup of tea.

My last few nights spent in New Zealand have been absolutely wonderful. I have been blessed with the hospitality of the Lagis, a Fijian family living in Mt. Wellington who have given me a bed to sleep in, food to eat, and their fellowship.

Here is an example of the rest that I have experienced here.

The night before last, Atu (who I had met on the plane from Fiji) and I went for an 8:00 p.m. swim in Mission Bay. The water was surprisingly warm and as we waited for Sam (another friend) to join us, we relaxed in the gentle waves and talked about life and the sea. By 9:30 we were sitting down for dinner with Auntie Frances, (Atu's wonderful wife), and Esther, their beautiful daughter. Our meal was wonderful. Together, we talked and laughed while enjoying steamed trevalli cooked in coconut milk and spinach leaves, which was served over white rice with a sprinkling of fresh lemon over the top. With taro (a root) and a juice that some laughed at but was really quite good, we ate our fill and finished with a cup of tea and some songs. As I have learned, you cannot have breakfast, lunch, or dinner with a large cup of tea and some biscuits on the side.

"Take me to Fiji!" I proclaimed as I finished our tasty dinner. "I do not know if I will be able to eat American food again."

Thank you Atu, Auntie Frances, and Esther. Thank you Sam. Thank you Tuk, Selena, Kano, and Ellie. And of course I thank the rest of the Streams' Community for your support and prayers. I would not have wanted to start this journey in any other way. Know that you are so loved. I will never forget my time in New Zealand or your hospitality.

I will make it to Fiji yet!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, the food sounds so simple and good. I sounds like you have made some long relationship friends. Have you had alot of time to share the gospel with your new friends? It sounds as if they already know our Savior. Be blessed and soak in the sun we are at 19 deg. here today:) Many blessings. Love,The Truhlars

Anonymous said...

Seth, I am exceptionally jealous. I love you and I am praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Simply amazing.

Love you!

~Alissa

mom said...

Hi Seth!
What wonderful people you are meeting! God is putting these people in your path, and you in theirs. You will NEVER, NEVER forget this trip! (hope you're journaling as well as posting...wonderful memories to go back over and share with your kids one day)
...something to chew on...
"Work is not always required...there is such a thing as sacred idleness, the cultivation of which is now fearfully neglected."
--George Macdonald
Love you honey!
Mom