Saturday, January 19, 2008

The midday sun strikes at ten.

After 3 nights, I am still in Bangkok, and opposite to the usual flashpacker plans, I think I will be here for a few more.

Between learning the basics of the Thai language with my new friend Kit, and finding quiet tables to read another chapter of Midnight's Children by Salmon Rushdie, I am slightly caught up in this city of contrasts.

Daily walks on thoroughfares that slowly etch themselves onto the map within my head increase my curiosity and disgust. Bangkok is a frenetic mecca of chillies and petrol fumes. Sweetened chicken and rotting fruit. It is both alluring and appalling. But somehow I tell myself, one more day. One more day of language. One more day of walking with no purpose other than to browse the streets and feel the heat of a midday sun that strikes at ten.

4 comments:

Daniel said...

Finally took the time to sit down and catch up with your adventure. Sounds like a grand old time. Praying for you.

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Thoreau

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing man. I would have taken the first flight home along time ago. I do enjoy the travel from my cozy home though. Thank you for sharing it all with us. Please don't even leave out the juicy stuff:) Many prayers at you man. Love,The Truhlars

Josh Jackson said...

Have you taken in a ping-pong show?

Hannah said...

Seth, you are an amazing writer! I finally got your blog address, and read all of them. I feel like I am there with you when I read them. I wish I was.

I am so infinitely proud of you, and happy for you. I love you Seth.

Your little sis'
Hannah