Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Slip.

An image enters my mind of my Nana's house. I am running on the sidewalk that fronts her yard when suddenly the toe of my shoe scrapes the pavement. I am wearing shorts and a t-shirt, and just playing with my friends; but now I am falling. I close my eyes and put my hands out to catch myself but momentum presses me forward. My knees slide against the grit of cement and my hands lead the way. My skin is abrasively torn at my palms and at my knees. I am crying now, both from the sight of blood and the touch of pain. My childhood friends are ahead of me. I look through squinted eyes and watch them look back for an instant, but that's all they do. I am alone on the sidewalk, and surely, I will scar.

Though in my despair, I find encouragement in the scribbles on the opening page of a new book. "Page 117" it says, in orange marker. This is what it says:

"CHRIST. My son, what are you saying? Consider My sufferings and those of My Saints, and cease to complain. You have not shed your blood in resistance; your troubles are but small in comparison with those who have suffered so much, whose temptations were strong, whose trials so severe, and who were proved and tested in so many ways. Remember the heavier sufferings of others, that you may more easily bear your own small troubles. If they do not seem small to you, beware lest your impatience be the cause; and whether they be small or great, try to bear them all patiently.

The better you prepare yourself to meet suffering, the more wisely you will act, and the greater will be your merit. You will bear all more easily if your heart and mind is diligently prepared.

...

Always be ready for battle if you wish for victory; you cannot win the crown of patience without a struggle; if you refuse to suffer, you refuse the crown. Therefore, if you desire the crown, fight manfully and endure patiently. Without labor, no rest is won; without battle, there can be no victory.

THE DISCIPLE. Lord, make possible for me by grace what is impossible to me by nature. You know how little I can bear, and how quickly I become discouraged by a little adversity. I pray You, make every trial lovely and desirable to me for Your Name's sake, since suffering and affliction for your sake is so profitable to the health of my soul."

-Thomas A. Kempis: The Imitation of Christ

I have fallen. And I cannot stand up alone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are NEVER alone. You are very blessed to have Christ at your side at all times and if you need to be carried He will carry you. Also know we are holding you up in prayer on the other side of the world. You are a man of character. We love you, Jackie

Anonymous said...

Dearest Seth, we all fall. We are all human. Don't beat yourself up. I have fallen too and I know that My GOD still loves and cares for me. He shouldent but he does...Remember that he loves and cares for you too.Stay srtong and true to yourself. Love Auntie Cheryl

Anonymous said...

I had to come back and share with you what God gave me this morning when I was praying for you. You need to read Psalm 130. Be strong Love, Jackie