Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Not so aromatic.

On several occasions, finding myself to be merely a face in the crowd, I have become completely engrossed in recording the differences in travelers. While I am not much of an anthropologist, I usually make time to record these various styles and mannerisms in my journal, so that someday, I may have a short compendium of their breeds.

Here is an example of a recent encounter, dated the 25th of March, 2008.

"There are many different types of travelers. The one immediately to my right is of the 'I-don't-shower-often' crowd; (although, I have actually never seen a crowd of this type before, its probably for the better of my health). His nose is red with clogged pores and pimples that have sprouted near its overhanging base. He is also an obvious fan of manga. I glance at his computer monitor and see doe-eyed comic girls in knee high socks, who by yelling in excitement illicit concentric circles of sunlit rays blasting around their faces. Please don't move too much my tiny-internet-cafe-sharing companion, for there are ill-favored cross breezes aloft."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, your observations are,hum ...
graphic! I was waiting for some of the not so beautiful stuff.Thats the reality of it, right? You are able to capture the scene... moment... not sure what to call it!!! Your words have given me a mental picture that is very real. I love it!!! I hope you are not included in this smelly crowd. LOL
Love Auntie Cheryl

Josh Jackson said...

Ha! Great observations...it's really hard NOT to pick up on all the differences between fellow travelers. I wrote a similar piece in the first month or so of our trip: http://driftinginhongkong.blogspot.com/2007/02/day-13-traveling-politics.html

Glad things are going well for you.

Josh Jackson said...

So this might have to be a 3 part link. :)

http://driftinginhongkong.blog
spot.com/2007/02/
day-13-traveling-politics.html