Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Evil has red eyes and green legs.

In Pakbeng, I was sitting in a poorly lit restaurant when a praying mantis dropped from the ceiling and onto the floor, gliding just past my ear. I jumped in my chair excitedly and immediately leaned in for a calculated, closer look. He (yes, it could have been a she -- I didn't check), was about 4 inches long, of bright green color, with beady red eyes and a triangular head that moved on a swivel. I took my navy blue cap, and bade him to creep upon it so I could get a closer look, but elevating him from the floor to my table, he charged at my chest with aggression, and in my surprise I shoved him back to the ground.

I watched him, now standing in the center of the room. His head slowly turned as he looked for revenge.

An adorable 2 year old Asian girl, with hair in bobbing, sparse pigtails that stand on either side of her little round head, is happily trotting around the room. But now her interest turns to this new green plaything.

I look to the devilish mantis. His head turns. With a slow, creaky door, I'm watching you turn, he looks to this charging toddler.

Barefoot, she flops her tiny feet across the room and in reaching him, bends her knees ever so slightly and in quick momentum arcs from her waist to the ground. In one fell swoop she tries to grab a new curiosity in a tiny hand.

Red menacing eyes send signals to instincts. He crouches and at the last second, shuffles away.

She is determined. She lifts her tiny torso. Her red capris and white dress with tiny red polka dots flows with her movement. With two more wobbly strides she moves, and stopping quickly, her body sways like flagpole on a windy day, before abruptly, she bends to the ground again.

He doesn't move. Now he's looking right at her.

A chunky hand descends.

He is waiting.

Fingers open.

I imagine his beady eyes are burning with hate.

She has him. Her body springs back to standing, her pigtails move in this sudden breeze, and for half a second, the room is quiet.

"WAHHHHHHHHH!"

She screams. Tears roll down her cheeks. In her tiny clenched fist, a tiny green beast pinches her skin.

Older brother to the rescue.

He tears the bug out of her hand and smashes it in his. He cradles her in his arms, and slowly her wailing fades, with tears still cascading slowly.

What an evil bug. What a harsh lesson. But somehow, cute.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would haved loved to see that whole scene unfold. Actually I feel as if I have.I can't believe all the stuff you are doing and seeing. It is truly the experience of a lifetime,right.
It is always good to know you are safe.
Love Auntie Cheryl