Saturday, April 5, 2008

In three words.

I love Laos.

I wish you could see my journal. Every single day, my pen swoops, jots, dips, curls, and blots ink upon gridded pages. It is a mess of words, diagrams, arrows, circles, hand drawn maps, phone numbers, and Lao language. Still, my thoughts are incomplete. This blog is but a sliver of my understanding; even my journal cannot retain or keep pace with my mind.

Some nights I sit down and look at these pages, or stare at a blinking cursor, knowing that I have much to write, but not knowing where to begin. As I try to keep up with my thoughts in Laos, I am also slowly chipping away at an essay about my old home, which as of April 11th, will be officially sold. So many thoughts eat my brain, but feeling the need to type, here is a brief summary of a day in Vientiane.

I sat in the park upon a mat and practiced language with a beautiful Lao girl, I went to the Cambodian embassy by motorbike with a new friend named Zack (pronounced "Zock" in Lao), I received one of the best haircuts in my life from a Lao barber, I went to lunch with Zack and had noodle soup and Pepsi, we went to a snooker club and I lost 15,000 kip learning to play, and I was told that I speak more Lao than people who have been here for 2 years.

I'll stay another day.

No comments: