Wednesday, July 23, 2008

My heart, my mind, my God. (From the airport.)

Tears pooled upon her eyelids that had been given careful attention in the half hour between our momentary parting and a reunion. It was a somber reunion; one leading to goodbye.

She rode with me in the cab and words were barely spoken. I looked out the window for most of the trip and squeezed her hand tighter when her searching eyes caught the corner of my vision.

We arrived at the airport. Check-in was flawless. It was time to go.

Standing in a cold room of glass and steel, I gave her a red journal with a letter on the first four pages that instructed her to fill this book with hopes, fears, and loves. I insisted that she take a small wad of bills -- the taxi fare home and a little bit more. Before the revolving glass entrance I held her and squeezed her tight. She wrapped her arms around my back. I forgot the people below who stared up at a short kiss; I forgot about everyone else.

At passport control we stood together one final time, and words moved from my mouth to her ear. "No promises," I said, and she nodded. "But you will always know me."

With head turned, I walked into the opening of a frosted glass barricade and pressed my last words through the air with a raised palm and spread fingers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My heart, (my mind), and ("my God").

For 6 1/2 months I have been traipsing around Southeast Asia, but now my ticket has come and its time to move. In one hour and twenty-two minutes I will be on a plane to India. I hope the flight is longer than I expect. I don't know how ready I am. (But remember Seth, no expectations, you can't have them.) It might be shocking. (It might be beautiful.) ("This is not your plan.") I am afraid. I shouldn't be. ("I am with you.") That Indian man at check-in made a horrible lusting sound as he walked near Chon. (You cannot base an entire population on one man.) ("Aren't you guilty of the same? Though not always verbally, or even with your eyes, then surely with your mind.") This isn't mine anymore; it never has been. Take it from me. (Nor is it mine.) ("I have you.")

"At the least, bear it bravely if you cannot
bear it cheerfully." - Thomas A. Kempis

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Seth, my hear is aching with you! But beyond that I see a very brave young man, and I'm so proud of you.

Be safe, know you are loved beyond measure...

And thank you for the beautiful, timely quote. I needed that.

Mom

Anonymous said...

My heart weeps for you, Seth. I don't know what else to say but to remind you of how much love and support and happy thoughts we are all sending you, today and every day.

I am amazed at the beauty and eloquence of your thoughts, even through such a difficult time. You are truly inspired and inspiring.

Love you!

~Alissa

Anonymous said...

Your a strong man. You got on the plane. We love you and looking forward to the new entries from India. Love, Jackie


Proverbs 3:5 Lean on, trust in, and be confident in the Lord with all your heart and mind and do not rely on your own insight or understanding.

Bill Millard said...

Deep emotion--yes, even love--that occurs over the short span of a few weeks is just as important as that which takes place over decades. Don't be afraid to drink from both.

I, too, have been traveling the world a good deal these past 4 months. But I want you to know that I am reading your words, and that you are in my thoughts.

Bill

Erica said...

"Bless your uneasiness as a sign that there is still life in you." (Dag Hammarskjold)

prayers and love.