Thursday, May 8, 2008

"Maximum."

On the first day I considered content to be most important and I took his word. But on the second day, my patience was wearing and I had to look. Moving to the top of the essay portion of Venerable Vandong's proposal, I read the instructions just to be sure that he was correct in a "ten page" length for this attached portion.

"It says 10 page maximum!" I exclaim to him. "That means it does not have to be ten pages!"

For the past day, he has pushed me into believing that we needed to reach 10 pages in his very first essay. Yes that's right; this is his very first essay and I am teaching him to write it.

I continue, desperately trying to get him to understand my example. "This means that it can have five, or six, or seven."

"Or eight," he adds in a serious manner.

For a moment I stare blankly. Whether at him or at the air I do not remember. For a moment I want to pull my hair out, but somehow I resist and start laughing. This is the laughter of insanity, misunderstanding, frustration, innocence, humor, and spending more time explaining than writing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to homeschooling. There are rewards and many joyous times ahead for you my fellow teacher. I can only laugh with you. You can do it. Be blessed and be a blessing. With our prayers and love, Jackie

Kyle said...

A young Indian man approached me in Kolkata and asked if I would assist him in growing his English vocabulary. We spent a few hours together and he has since continued sending me emails in which I was to return the words to him being used correctly in a sentence. I loved his persistence. You talked about wanting to pull your hair out, but then laughing. I could not leave him that day without doing just one more word... and then another... Something similiar to your friend's response "or eight."

Anonymous said...

I'm with Jackie...welcome to homeschooling is right!!
Sometimes all you can do is laugh. I'm thinking about a particular time with Aaron not wanting to learn multiplication. He was crying and carrying on in a very dramatic way. (as Aaron can do!) Anyway, it was either laugh or cry for me at that point. I chose the laughter. (which, by the way, made Aaron cry harder!)
...wonderful to hear of your experiences, as usual honey. Much love to you!!

Anonymous said...

I'm presuming you knew that last comment was from me.

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Bula Vinaka Seth

its been a very long time that we get to write to you. first we ask for your forgiveness. we still pray for you especially as your card on the fridge, reminds us of your time with us at home, Auckland New Zealand. we are all well and very much busy with ministry, work and family. How a you keeping? God bless and will keep in touch.

Atu & Frances