Friday, February 15, 2008

Coffee is my favorite.

[There has been much to write about in the past two days, and while rapid fire posting in succession is not how I prefer to publish my thoughts, this time will be an exception. Broken into two posts -- here are my observations.]

Yesterday morning I went to take pictures of the sunrise, but enshrouded with clouds, the sun never showed its face.

I woke at 5:10 AM after pressing the snooze on my pocket-size travel alarm (thanks mom), and lethargically but forcefully moved. Rarely do people crack the seal between eyelids in the dark of 5:00 and feel that sleep has reached its needed end. Even if they have learned the robotic response of awakening, the body will still speak in its whispers. Your knees will implore you, your feet will plead with you, your arms will resist you, and your head will sink into the pillow like a stone in quicksand -- only deeper it will settle in. Though with the notion that if I didn't get up then I would surely struggle the following morning, I sat up in and twisted my feet to the floor in a single motion, grabbed my flashlight (thanks dad), and left the room.

As I walked, there was enough light to see the road, but not enough to see the blank shadows that walled and obscured detail on either side.

You may know that Thailand has many stray dogs -- and if you do not, now you do. While I maintained a slow stroll, there were several times in which I heard their low rumbling growls, snarls, and barks; and several times still that sound met reality at my heels. They snapped with nervous aggression while I repeated for comfort, 'they are probably more afraid of me than I am of them', and 'don't run -- walk'.

Well, the fact I am here to write this proves that I was not eaten by frustrated street dogs, nor did I fight them off heroically to save myself (or a small child). I made it to the famed bridge at Kanchanaburi, (Josiah, I'm sure it will not take you long to find the historical significance of this city in Thailand), and the sun never rose. I don't think I captured anything spectacular, but I am still glad I tried.

I like it here in Kanchanaburi, and I will probably stay a few more days (at least...). My guesthouse is called the Jolly Frog and through splitting the cost of a double room, the total comes to only 100 Baht per night. This peaceful place is located right close to the river with a green lawn watered every morning, along with numerous carefully maintained hedges, flowers, and trees. Breakfast is also really good. They have fresh, real, espresso coffee! Yummy indeed.

[I thought I might include a few random pictures, since according to many of you, I rarely post enough (which I suppose you are right in thinking). So here are some randoms with captions included, including a short video of my wonderful bike with a basket, that transported me up, down, and around Kanchanaburi.]

Me.




My Chariot.


A picture of my chariot.


Billy trying to keep warm on our all night bus
from Krabi to Bangkok. Unfortunately, we were sitting
directly beneath the air conditioner!




The Tarutao Broiler. The sand here was extremely hot,
so obviously, Billy had some trouble. Here he is...
sizzlin'.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful...finally...I loved the pics. and hearing your voice with joy was great. I'm glad you have a good friend to join you with your ventures. I herd about you job and I am looking forward to those blogs and pics. You are truly blessed Seth. All our love The Truhlars p/s I think your pic. shows you need to shave:)

Anonymous said...

hahahaha that little chuckle made my day! Good to hear your voice seth. I wish I were in the warm with you guys, it's still freezing here in good ol' Indiana.

Anonymous said...

hey dude. coffee is my favorite too but i wake up at 330am almost every day for it!
-hannah v-